Friday, November 7, 2014

Three Rules For Coaching Youth Sports

When coaching youth sports there are three rules I set for myself, to help me, the kids, and their parents keep things in perspective.

1. Teach the kids something besides the sport--teach them something about life. If by season's end everything they've learned from me stays on the ball field then it was a waste of time, and I failed as a coach--because they don’t live on a ball field. Sports are never an end in themselves, they are a means toward something more important, a school of life where the ultimate lessons are how to conduct yourself away from the sport.

Ultimately, what are the most important things a coach can teach? Identify them, and teach them, using your sport as a hands-on lesson.

2. The game is never more important that the kids; it is made to serve them, not the other way around. Make sure they understand their value not just as athletes, but as persons.

Last summer after my 10U baseball team suffered a defeat at the hands of what looked more like a “professional” 10U team, I sang the praises of our opponent’s baseball skills, as was their due, since they completely out-played us.

I then told my team, “But you know, if I never saw that team play baseball again it wouldn’t break my heart. But it would break my heart if I never got to see you play baseball again. Because you’re the guys I want to be with, not them.”

3. Communicate with the parents, and make sure they understand the importance of communicating with you, especially if there is a concern. One way to state it very plainly: “One thing we all have in common is we all have a child here that we love, and we want this to be a good experience for them. That can only happen when we all work together and communicate with each other.”

In the heat of competition all of these can be easier said than done. In future posts I’ll share some of my experiences grappling with the sometimes conflicting pulls of wanting to keep my team competitive in games and wanting to build the self-esteem of my players, and what I’ve learned from these struggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment